Interim Election in Valley East
At the November 16, 2022, Valley East Area Meeting, the UTLA Elections Committee announced that there is a vacancy for the Valley East AFT Board of Director position. This is a special election that only affects UTLA Valley East Area.
It will be filled in a special election to be held at the January 18, 2023, Valley East Area Meeting. Candidates may declare their intent to run after the November 9 Area meeting in writing by completing the Declaration of Candidacy Form for Interim Valley East AFT Board of Directors form.
This is an unusual situation as the election for the three-year term for the Valley East AFT Director was not contested so Leonard Newsome, has already been elected to that position for the three-year term beginning July 1, 2023. This election is only for the interim position. That interim term would begin January 25th and would end June 30th.
Only nominations submitted online will be accepted. Candidates must have been a member in good standing for 24 months prior to November 9th.
The deadline for declarations is Friday January 13, 2023, at 5:00 p.m. The special election will be held at the Valley East Area Meeting on January 18th, after the candidates have given a brief presentation to the Area Assembly. The results will be verified and posted on this website. The Board of Directors will certify the election of the Interim AFT Valley East Director on January 25, 2023.
UTLA Valley East Interim Election Timeline
- November 9, 2022: at the Area Meeting, Election Committee member announces the election process to fill open AFT Board of Directors spot. This is an interim Position that will only be for the remainder of the current election term that ends on June 30 th of 2023. After the end of the Area Meeting candidates may declare their candidacy for the open position in writing on this website.
- January 13, 2023: candidate declarations for the open position are closed at 5:00 pm.
- January 18, 2023: Area Meeting—Election is held, after statements from all candidates. (Area leadership determines how long speakers will have to speak.)
- Results are tallied and verified, and the winner is announced via email and notice on the website.
- January 25, 2023: The Board of Directors certifies the election, and the Interim Valley East Director begins their term.